IELTS- The International English Language Testing System is an international standardized test of English language proficiency for non-native English language speakers. It is mainly used as a benchmark to test the language skills of people who want to migrate to an English-speaking land for various purposes like academics or professional assignments. IELTS is recognized by most of the academic institutions and professional organizations in Europe, New Zealand, Australia, Canada, and the United States.
IELTS Exam is of two kinds. IELTS Academic for students who wish to migrate for further studies and IELTS General Training for professionals and others who wish to migrate for any general purpose.
Both kinds of IELTS consist of four modules – Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening. In each of these modules, one can receive a score of 1-9 based on performance. The final score is an average of these four scores.
To score well on IELTS, you require a firm grip on English language proficiency at all levels. This requires consistent preparation.
Here are a few tips that can help you score well on IELTS.
- The first and foremost secret to any successful accomplishment is to start early. Start well in advance so that you have ample time for practicing Mock tests.
- If English has not been your regular use language during schools and further, I would recommend first finish mastering the English language grammar and speaking before starting the IELTS targeted preparation.
- Work on your vocabulary every day. Human emotions are unlimited and so are the words used to convey them. A better grip on vocabulary makes you a better communicator which is a real attraction. While reading, if you come across a new word, try to guess the contextual meaning of the work before looking it up in the dictionary.
- Read “a lot”. Read across different genres of your interest as well as disinterest. But widen your reading spectrum. It enriches your vocab, improves your comprehension skills all the while building up your knowledge to express views on different subjects.
- Work on improving your reading and comprehension speed. This can be achieved by reading with set time limits.
- Improve your listening skills by watching movies, news, radio commentaries, podcasts, or documentaries in English.
- Talk about various subjects with the other English-speaking people. Talk about current affairs, your interests, hobbies, daily life, or anything.
- Once you feel your English is in a good shape, join a good IELTS guidance center or get the preparation material. This helps in a more focused approach to the test.
- Practice and practice more. Practice a lot of Mock tests. Familiarize yourself completely with the kind of questions asked in the test. While testing your preparation level, Mocks also help in practicing time management.
- Develop “skim and scan” technique for reading. Also, learn review techniques and strategies for all the question types.
The above tips, though useful, are just the pointers for setting your track to IELTS preparation. Nothing matches your hard work and focus! SpeakEng India one of the Best Foreign Language Institute Center helps you to get top scores in the IELTS exam by providing best IELTS training in Bangalore.